Tuesday, December 23, 2014

CHURCHES IN CAGAYAN: TUGUEGARAO, PIAT, IGUIG, ALCALA AND GATTARAN

TUGUEGARAO 


       The Tuguegarao Cathedral in honor of Sts. Peter and Paul was built in 1761 by the Dominican priest Fr. Antonio Lobato who also compiled the first Ibanag-Spanish dictionary and laid out and developed the streets of the town. The church was finished in 1767. In 1910, Tuguegarao was made the seat of the diocese.  During the Second World War the church was heavily damaged and was rebuilt by Bishop Constance Jurgens. 

         Made of bricks, the cathedral is outlined in white paint along with its niches, pillars, entablatures and windows. Beside it is a tall belfry. Easily the Tuguegarao Cathedral is the biggest church in the whole region.





The church has just undergone a renovation with richly decorated ceiling and columns.

The patio by the side of the Cathedral.



The Blessed Sacrament Chapel is found at the ground floor of the convento.


The altar retablo


SAN JACINTO HERMITA, TUGUEGARAO


The Ermita de San Jacinto is an old chapel built in 1724. While the Tuguegarao church was being built this chapel was the one used by the people. Now found near the St. Paul University at the intersection of Mabini and Legaspi streets, the chapel offers a soothing place of quiet amidst a busy neighborhood. It is enclosed by a metal fence. The chapel with a simple façade has three arched doorways embellished with four white columns, a round window and bells atop the façade. There are benches in front of the chapel to accommodate the overflow of mass goers.






ST. PAUL UNIVERSITY CHAPEL, TUGUEGARAO

St. Paul University Chapel which has a striking resemblance to the San Sebastian Church in Manila


The St. Paul University Chapel as seen from outside the gate of the University.

CLERGY RETIREMENT HOME, MADDARULUG, SOLANA, CAGAYAN


The Archdiocese of Tuguegarao has a beautiful place for their retired priests which is located within the compound of the Villa Domingo Renewal Center in  Maddarulug, Solana which is less than ten kilometers away from Tuguegarao.  Only the retired Archbishop Talamayan  and another retired priest resides in the place so far.  We were happy to be accommodated for an overnight stay during our visit. 

The Clergy Retirment Home of the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao

Main entrance to the retirement home with bas reliefs of the Good Shepherd and Mary

Bas reliefs of Sts. Pedro Calungsod, Lorenzo Ruiz, St. Martin de Porres, Mary and Jesus are found near the entrance.

An courtyard within the compound






PIAT


The most famous Marian pilgrim site in the Cagayan region is the Our Lady of Piat, found in Piat, Cagayan which is 40 kilometers northwest of Tuguegarao. The image which is that of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary is said to have come from Macau in the 17th century. Once it was enshrined in Piat, devotion to the image started to spread from Piat to the outlying towns and provinces. Proclaimed as patroness of Cagayan, Our Lady of Piat is held in high esteem by the Cagayanos attested by numerous stories of miracles and healings. The image is now housed in a new shrine blessed in 1995. The shrine was declared as a Minor Basilica in 1999. Just around the basilica are numerous stores selling candles and religious objects and also eateries to cater to pilgrims and tourists alike attesting to its popularity.

The facade of the Basilica Minore of Piat

Inside the church

Church altar


Our Lady of Piat at the main altar with the Tabernacle and St. Dominic at the side altars.




By the side of the Basilica is a small garden with the Our Lady of Piat at the center.

A selfie of the Basilica as reflected on the car window



IGUIG 


From its façade, the church of Iguig does not look impressive and in fact does not look that old. However, its antiquity is revealed when one goes around the back of the church. Three flying buttresses anchor the back of the church. Likewise some buttresses are also found at its side. Being on top of the hill the church has a commanding view over the whole town.  As an added attraction 14 Stations of the Cross  with brightly colored larger than life tableaux are spread over the four hectares hilly terrain at the back of the church. The church dedicated to St. James the Greater was constructed between 1765  and 1787 by the parish priest Pedro de San Pedro. 


A simple facade which looks quite modern does not reveal its antiquity until one goes around the church


The view from the back of the church with buttresses.



With bare ceiling and and some electrical wires hanging.

It's quite rare to see an altar painted green.

Another view of the side of the church



The 14 Stations of the Cross. 


ALCALA











GATTARAN







No comments: