Saturday, April 13, 2024

PARISH CHURCHES OF THE TOWNS UNDER THE DIOCESE OF ALAMINOS

 

The Diocese of Alaminos is composed of 13 towns and one city. They are Alaminos City, Agno, Anda, Bani, Bolinao, Burgos, Dasol, Infanta, Mabini, Mangatarem, Aguilar, Bugallon, Labrador and Sual.   I visited already half of them when we toured around the province of  Zambales some years back.  On our way home, instead of retracing our steps, we charted a northern course towards Pangasinan passing by the western towns which already belonged to the Diocese of Alaminos. 

During the Holy Week of 2024 I decided to visit the towns of Pangasinan. I stayed at the bishop's house of Urdaneta as my base for my visit to the province.  Was able to tour all the towns under the Diocese of Urdaneta on my first day, so I decided for the second day to visit the other towns under the Diocese of Alaminos and some other towns belonging to the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan that were along the way which I will feature in the next blog.

The towns under the Diocese of Alaminos which I visited were the following: Bugallon, Labrador, Sual, Bani, Agno, Bolinao and Anda. I did not anymore pass by the Cathedral of Alaminos as I just visited it recently during the installation of their new bishop, the Most Rev. Napoleon Sipalay, Jr, OP. I was alone in the car as I was supposed to meet Fr. RL Orate, another student of mine in UST already in Bani. There was a diocesan penitential activity   that day with all the priests in the diocese and numerous lay faithful on a mountain between Bani and Bolinao. Since Fr. RL was not yet there when I arrive just before three in the afternoon, I decided to proceed first to Agno which was just 15 kilometers away. When I returned to Bani, Fr. RL  and the assistant priest of Aguilar with his three sacristans were already waiting for me.  Since I read that there were good beaches in Bolinao, I told Fr. RL to book a resort where we could stay overnight. So off we went to the Puerto del Sol Resort in Brgy. Ilog Malino, Bolinao. 


St. Andrew the Apostle Parish
Bugallon, Urdaneta

The town of Bugallon was formerly under the town of Salasa. Due to a disastrous flood in the early 20th century, the town center was trasferred to the present site of Bugallon and Salasa was reduced to a barangay. 


The church was closed when I arrived at Bugallon.  Being a Tuesday, day off for the parish the office was closed and no one was there to open it as they were on their diocesan pilgrimage. So I just took a peep from the window to get a picture of the church altar. 

Our Lady of Lourdes Parish
Salasa, Bugallon, Pangasinan

        Salasa, under the patron St. Andrew the Apostle was founded in 1714 as a visita of Lingayen by the Dominicans. It was accepted as a vicarage in 1720, suppressed in 1722 , and revived in 1733. Due to a disastrous flood in the early 20th century, the town proper was transferred to the present day Bugallon and Salasa was reduced  to a barangay under the patronage of Our Lady of Lourdes. Skipped this parish in my visit during the Holy Week since it was no longer a town. However, when I learned that it was formerly a poblacion, I made it a point to visit, when I had to go to Dagupan a few weeks after the holy week. 















St. Isidore the Farmer Parish (F-1755)
Labrador, Pangasinan






St. Peter the Martyr Parish
Sual, Pangasinan

Sual was declared a town independent from Labrador on May 20, 1805. It became a parish though only in 1835. 



There was a restaurant just in front of the church which served home-cooked meals where I took my lunch. 


Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Parish
Bani, Pangasinan

Bani was a former visita of Bolinao under the Augustinian Recollects. It was erected as a parish in 1834. 


A typical motorcart filled with native crafts for sale is a usual sight in the towns of Pangasinan. 


St. Catherine of Alexandria Parish (F- 1610)
Agno, Pangasinan

Agno was founded in 1610 by the Augustinian Recollects that were based in Bolinao. 








St. James the Great Parish
Bolinao, Pangasinan

Bolinao was first evangelized by the Augustinians  around 1585, then 1600-1609, then by the Dominicans from 1596 to 1600. Around 1609 it was formally established by the Augustinian Recollects. 





A marker of Bl. Odorico, a Franciscan missionary to Asia says that he landed in Bolinao in 1324 during a stormy weather and celebrated mass there. This therefore dates back almost 200 years before the officially recognized first mass in the Philippines on the Easter of 1521 by Fray Pedro Valderrama, the chaplain of the Magellan expedition. 



St. Nicholas de Tolentino Parish
Anda, Pangasinan


The town of Anda is an island connected to the mainland of Bolinao by a bridge. It is known as the Mother of the Hundred Islands of Pangasinan because of its proximity to the Hundred Islands. 




With the parish priest of Anda and Fr. RL Orate. 

For previous entry of the towns and parishes under the Diocese of Alaminos, click here














 

No comments: