This post consists of the parish churches of the Basilica Minore of the Immaculate Conception, Malolos; Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish Church, Barasoian; Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion, Bulacan; St. James the Apostle Parish Church, Paombong; National Shrine of St. Anne, Hagonoy; St. James the Apostle Parish Church, Plaridel and San Isidro Parish Church, Pulilan
1. BASILICA MINORE OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION, MALOLOS CATHEDRAL,
Poblacion, Malolos City, Bulacan (F-1580)
The town of Malolos was founded in 1850 by the Augustinians.
In this convent, Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo as president of the first Philippine republic held office from Sept. 10, 1898 to March 29, 1899.
The present church was built in 1859. The façade is divided into three vertical segments by Doric columns with three semicircular arched entrances. The belfry on the left side of the church has the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the top.
|The statue of the Immaculate Conception is prominently displayed in the single niche retablo.|
|The painting on the ceiling by the altar.|
|The statue of the Immaculate Conception on the main Altar.|
|The Cathedra of the bishop.|
|Chapel of the saints.|
2. OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL PARISH,
BARASOIAN, Malolos City, Bulacan (F-1859)
Originally a part of Malolos, Barasoian became a town in 1859. In 1903 it became a part of Malolos again. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1884 but was rebuilt the following year. This church complex housed the revolutionary congress which was inaugurated on Sept. 15, 1898. Pedro A. Paterno was President. It was here that the congress, among other measures, discussed and approved the Malolos Constitution in 1898. In August 1973, the National Historical Institute declared Barasoian church and convent a national landmark.
The façade is distinguished by its semicircular pediment with a rose window on top of the recessed main entrance and two smaller side entrances. The belfry on the right side of the church rises from a cube base into a polygonal three layered structure with blind and open windows.
|Intricate bas-relief carvings on the main door of the church.|
|Main altar retablo with a couple waiting the start of their marriage ceremony.|
|Side altar of St. Joseph.|
|Side altar of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.|
|Bas-relief carving on the side door of the church.|
|Barasoian church with a bride preparing to process down the aisle.|
3. NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA ASUNCION,
BULACAN, BULACAN (F-1578)
The town of Bulacan was founded by the Augustinians in 1578 under the protection of the Assumption of Our Lady. Bulacan was the former capital of the province of Bulacan. The church construction started in 1578. It was burned and desecrated by the British in 1762 during the invasion of Manila. Was built again in 1812, the bell tower being built in 1872. Got destroyed again in the earthquakes of 1863, 1869 and 1880. Rebuilt according to a Neo-Byzantine design in 1884-1885. Bell tower finished in 1889. Renovated again in 1955-1975.
The church is distinguished by its single entrance with a rose window on top within a recessed arch resting on three slender columns.
|Altar retablo with bas-reliefs of saints on the side panels.|
|The town hall of Bulacan, Bulacan.|
4. ST. JAMES THE APOSTLE PARISH CHURCH,
PAOMBONG, BULACAN (F-1619)
The façade of the church is distinguished by six rectangular columns, the middle columns of which joined by a canopy almost reaches to the end of the triangular pediment. It has three recessed entrances with semicircular arches on top of three columns.
|The baptismal font.|
5. NATIONAL SHRINE OF ST. ANNE,
HAGONOY, BULACAN (F-1580)
The town of Hagonoy was founded by the Augustinians on January 17, 1582 with St. Anne as its patron saint. The church of stone and bricks was built in 1731 but has undergone several restorations since then. The latest addition would be the large portico in front of the main entrance, which is also flanked by two other side entrances. The base of the triangular pediment has four columns topped by four Augustinian saints. In the middle of the pediment and just above the rose window is a bas-relief statue of St. Anne.
|Interior of the church.|
|The altar retablo of St. Anne.|
6. ST. JAMES THE APOSTLE PARISH CHURCH,
PLARIDEL, BULACAN (F-1602)
The town of Plaridel founded by the Augustinians was formerly called Quingua. It was changed to Plaridel in the 20th century in honor of its famous son, Marcelo del Pilar. The patron saint of the town is St. James the Apostle.
The façade is characterized by a Moorish pediment with decorative elements plastered on it. It has a rose window with a stained glass depicting St. James the Apostle. There is only one main entrance in a Moorish arch with niches on the sides. A canopy extends in front of the main entrance.
|Quingua, the old name of the town of Plaridel.|
|The altar retablo.|
|The garden by the side of the church.|
7. SAN ISIDRO LABRADOR PARISH CHURCH,
PULILAN, BULACAN (F-1749)
The façade of the church is simple with four pillars topped by a triangular pediment. The only front entrance is covered by a small canopy with the statue of St. Isidore placed on top. There are two niches beside the entrance with the statue of saints. The belfry on the right has a circular roof.
The church was solemnly dedicated by the Most Rev. Jose Oliveros, Bishop of Malolos on February 7, 2013 on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the Diocese of Malolos.
|The cemetery is just beside the church.|
|The Holy water stoup.|
|The altar fenced off by a metallic lattice work as a communion rail.|
|Arched doorway to the convento.|