This post covers ten churches of the province of Laguna on the eastern side of the Laguna de Bay. This includes the parish churches of: Majayjay, Luisiana, Cavinti, Lumban, Longos, Paete, Pakil, Pangil, Siniloan and Mabitac.
ST. GREGORY THE GREAT PARISH CHURCH
The church of Majayjay was founded by the Agustinians in 1571. Built only of light materials it got burned in 1576. Built again in 1578 and got burned again in 1606. The present stone church was built in 1616-1649; partly burned in 1660. Enlarged in 1711-1734. Was renovated again in the years, 1839, 1842 and 1848. Became a camp of the Americans during the Philippine-American war. It was rebuilt again in 1912.
The façade is divided into three levels and segments with colums and cornices. There are niches on each segment with statues of the saint except for the arched main door and an arched window on the second level above the main door. The main patron, St. Gregory the Great is on the top niche below the pediment. The belfry is on the left side of the church and the convento is attached to the right side of the church.
Inside the church is a magnificent three-piece retablo. The pulpit has still been retained on the right side facing the people. There are also bas reliefs on the walls of the church like that of the Immaculate Conception, the birth of Jesus and the Resurrection. There is a balustrade balcony that runs along the sides of the church.
|A bas relief image of the Immaculate Conception|
|The altar retablo.|
|A bas relief image of the Resurrection.|
OUR LADY OF THE HOLY ROSARY PARISH CHURCH (Founded: 1854)
The façade of the church of Luisiana prominently displays the statue of the Immaculate Conception on top of the pediment. The façade has only has two levels with three niches of saints on the second level. It has only one main entrance with two arched stained glass windows on the sides of the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The belfry which has four levels is on the left of the church while the convent which now houses the Catholic school is connected on the right.
Inside the church has two side wings intersected in the middle with a rectangular dome. The altar has only the statue of the Most Holy Rosary and the tabernacle below flanked by two angels holding electric lights.
TRANSFIGURATION OF THE LORD PARISH CHURCH (Founded: 1621)
The first stone church and convent of Cavinti, Laguna were built in 1621, but both were seriously damaged during the Chinese uprising of 1639. The present church was partially damaged and the convent totally destroyed by the earthquake of 1824. Both were rebuilt before 1851. The tower collapsed during the earthquakes of 1880 and the walls were badly cracked during the earthquakes of 1880 and 1937. Made also of adobe stones, the façade now features a concrete canopy in front of the main door. The belfry is attached to the right of the church, while the convento is attached to the left of the church. The altar retablo which has a rectangular frame with gold-leafed sidings features a crucifix on top and a Transfigured Christ below it, just above the tabernacle. There are two side altars by the front of the rectangular church.
SAN SEBASTIAN PARISH CHURCH (Founded: 1600)
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH CHURCH
LONGOS, KALAYAAN, LAGUNA
Longos town was founded by the Franciscans in 1587. The town’s patron saint is St. John the Baptist. Reduced just to become a barrio of Kalayaan, the church became neglected. It was only in 1996 that it became a parish again. The entire roof was blown away in 2006 by the typhoon Milenyo. A new roof with steel trusses was constructed in its place. During the time of my visit last year which happened to be its fiesta June 24, there was no ceiling yet.
Made of adobe stone, the church façade is divided into two levels and segments by double pilasters and cornices. A concrete canopy has been added to the front door. The belfry which is connected to the right of the church has four tapering tiers; the first three levels being four sided and the top being octagonal. The belfry is capped by a domical stone roof with a cross on top.
Inside the church there is an wooden altar retablo dominated by a crucifix with the figures of Mary and John the Evangelist on the sides. The top tier of the retablo has the statue of St. John the Baptist. There is an old bas relief at the Baptistery near the entrance of the church of St. John the Baptist baptizing Jesus. It is protected by a steel grill.
ST. JAMES THE APOSTLE PARISH CHURCH
Paete was founded by the Franciscans in 1580. The town’s name comes from paet meaning “chisel” of which the town is famous for its craftsmen. The church both inside and outside is a manifestation of the artistry of the townsfolks.
|The facade of the church of Paete constructed in an elaborate baroque style.|
|The side entrance of the church also has elaborate designs.|
|A relief of St. James conquering the Moors.|
ST. PETER OF ALCANTARA PARISH CHURCH
DIOCESAN SHRINE OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DELOS DOLORES DE TURUMBA
The town of Pakil was founded by the Franciscans in 1676. It has St. Peter Alcantara as its patron saint. The present stone church was built in 1732. “The façade of Pakil Church displays a sense of playfulness and flamboyancy. These are seen in the delicate and florid stone appliques on the façade wall, with little cherubs’ heads, saints’ medallions, and ornamental frames for the windows and saints’ niches. The main door itself is defined by a decorative arch with a prominent keystone. Attached to the church is the belfry, which is formed by three tapering tiers” (Fr. Gallende, Philippine Church Facades, p. 198). The convento is attached to the left side of the church.
A four level altablo adorns the altar with five niches on the first two levels, three on the third and one on the top most. There are also two side altars present. The Stations of the Cross are painted on wood. There is also a big painting about the final judgment found on the wall on the side of the church. There is also preserved the pulpit with its entrance from inside the convento.
|The Stations of the Cross are painted on wood.|
|Painting about the Final Judgment.|
|The municipal hall of Pakil.|
OUR LADY OF THE NATIVITY PARISH CHURCH
STS. PETER & PAUL PARISH CHURCH
MAHAL NA BIRHEN NG CANDELARIA PARISH CHURCH